Prepping the Frontiers of Qith 2

 In scheming for this campaign I am attempting to adhere strictly to the idea that less is more. I want to put just enough stuff o'juiceut there with a vague idea of what is going on in the periphery to allow the players to really generate the "juice" of the campaign. But to kick things off, there really needs to be a change to the status quo that causes things to get interesting and spark a sort of "gold rush" type of excitement for the players to participate in.



I've always loved Ravenloft. So my first inkling was to make the continent of Qith a pocket dimension. That would be really cool. I already view Qith the Conqueror as a Lord Soth-type character, but Ravenloft has been done. It's been done to death. In fact, it's been done so much in the current edition of Ravenloft there are now 39 Domains of Dread with rules for creating your own Domain of Dread. 





I've already decided I want a semi-post apocalyptic feel for this place, it being the site of some kind of gods war has definitely made it inhospitable for the general populace. And it most certainly was, at some point, a part of a larger world. So how do I detach it without using the tried and true "It's now a pocket dimension" trope? 



Well, we know Qith is a man whose determination knows no bounds. I figure he discovered the continent a century and a half or so ago. He's definitely human, so he would be well past his expiration date by now, but he is determined. He would have probably been the type to have the whole "I want to rule the world!" mentality. That probably didn't work out for him though... So he probably became some sort of undead type thing to take a second crack at it. 

Ha! He would totally end up getting hosed by a wish spell!

That's it. He was probably too smart for the old, "I wish to be king of the world." trap, so he probably wished fr something along the lines of... "I wish for the continent of Qith to be the most powerful force in the world, with me as its king." So that ended up breaking Qith away from the larger world and becoming its own. But that really wouldn't be enough to crew with Qith, would it? No. Instead of mysterious, swirling mists that return travelers back to the shores of Qith, what if they just sailed right off the edge of the world. What if Qith is a flat world, spinning through the cosmos like a frisbee? Yeah, that sounds pretty cool!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prepping The Frontiers of Qith

Regulators: Wildemount Up